Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Addictive Television Shows

Have you found yourself impatiently waiting for the next episode of a television show?  It seems as if writers are getting a lot better at designing shows that make it impossible to stop watching.  Whatever the reason, to miss a weekly episode of such offerings as "Fringe" or the new "Heroes" means you have missed vital information and will be "Lost" for the rest of the season (pun intended.)  Not being one who remembers what network, let alone what channel carries a particular show, I am grateful that my spouse is so handy at recording these offerings so we can view them in their proper order when we are ready.

2 comments:

  1. I thought for a minute I was going to get a guilt trip to add to my own internal scoldings that I "should be" volunteering, writing, reading something mind expanding, cleaning the china closet, creating something or interacting with my family -- anything but blasting hours away watching "addictive TV." But I was happy to see you are a fellow "addict" Ed and I have been victim to hours and hours of The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Carnivale, Weeds, The Tudors, Breaking Bad and Mad Men. We so admire great filmmaking, outstanding story telling, skilled writing and those great performances by great actors. We have no regrets for the hours of entertainment and life enriching reactions to these productions, but there is a fair amount of guilt for the time we weren't "productive." I don't have a DVR and with my addictive personality and love of passive observation, I don't dare. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much guilt available for things that we do/don't do, I gave up feeling guilty for watching TV shows that are truly entertaining, not just alpha-wave generators. As I grow in maturity and faith, my favorite show list is getting a bit more selective, but I still love a good story!

    ReplyDelete