Thursday, September 23, 2010

Keeping Up With the Kids

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit one of my friends who has a 17-month old son. I have to say, that's a tough age to keep up with! Despite our best plans, he decided on this day to not take his nap. I don't know how moms manage to have the energy. I loved playing with this guy, but was exhausted when I got home. Then again, I'm at the grandma stage, not the mom stage. In fact, while my friend looked for birthday presents at the toy store and I pushed her son around in the stroller, one auntie asked me if he was my grandson. I had to laugh at my reaction, as I don't really think of myself as that old, despite the calendar.

Each age has its trials and its blessings and I find myself looking more at babies and little children and reacting much differently than I used to.  My heart just melts and I can't help but smile at them - and funny enough - most of them smile back at me.  I guess I now have a "grandma" face to which they can relate.  No more tense, stressed out professional woman, am I.  I have the time to look, to smile, and to enjoy the best of these tykes - and then go home to rest afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment